Many people do not realize that “silver” amalgam fillings are 50% mercury. A large filling may contain as much mercury as a thermometer. Mercury vaporizes easily at room temperature, and in this state, is odorless, colorless and tasteless. Inhaled mercury vapor is readily absorbed into the bloodstream. The World Health Organization (WHO) has concluded that dental filings contribute more mercury to a person’s body than all other sources of mercury combined. Mercury is a powerful poison. Published research demonstrates that mercury is more toxic than lead, cadmium or arsenic. No amount of exposure to mercury vapor can be considered harmless, especially considering its cumulative effect.
This is one of the most controversial areas in dentistry today! Much is said pro and con, and there may be no clear dividing line. The decision to have mercury containing fillings removed must be based on the best and most complete information available.
This office consistently works with a medical practitioner and follows the protocols and procedures deemed most appropriate by the research people, their recommendations can change from time to time as more information is unearthed.
Our office prides itself in keeping up to date with the latest research and development with relation to mercury removals. One thing that we believe most heartily, though, is that there is no safe place to store mercury other than in a toxic waste dump. Some of the population can get by with some mercury in their bodies; others can not. Most people fall somewhere between these two extremes…and with varying reactions, sometimes observed and sometimes with increased signs.
If a patient makes the decision to remove mercury fillings, the treatment will proceed in a very orderly manner with a full medical examination and support, and will be completed in a controlled environment with appropriate medication protocols.